Susy Baranszky-Job grew up on the west side of Vancouver, British Columbia. She now creates and lives in the coastal village of Ladner, BC. She has been professionally creating art for over 30 years, teaching high school visual art in the public and private school systems for over twenty five years, is presently leading arts department at an independent university preparatory school, and is a professional certified art therapist. Her art work has been sold through private and public galleries, commercial retail stores, art cooperatives and by commission.
2018-Post Graduate, Advanced Diploma in Art Therapy, Vancouver Art Therapy Institute.
2012-Masters of Education: Arts Education, Simon Fraser University.
1992-Bachelor of Education: visual art major, University of British Columbia.
1990-Bachelor of Arts: studio art major, University of British Columbia.
1986-Diploma of Fine Art, Langara College, Vancouver.
2018 to Present: Professional certified art therapist at: Soleil Art Therapy: https://soleilarttherapy.com/
Life long: Visual artist, self employed at Messy Mind Studio– 2D and 3D works: https://sbaranszky.com/
2003 to Present: Visual Art Teacher-Southridge School-Surrey, BC-Directing and implementing vision and mission for a visual art program, Grades 8-12: https://www.southridge.ca/
2011 to Present : Curriculum Leader: Arts–Southridge School, Surrey, BC.- Developing and supporting the senior school in it’s mission and vision, particularly in and for the Arts Department ((visual art, media, drama) at the senior school in regards to curriculum development and implementation. This includes helping in the hiring of, and mentoring of the members of the Arts department and the development and support of the Senior School Education Program. In this capacity I serve on several committees that support the school and the Arts and the wider curricular vision of the senior school.
Past teacher experience (1992-2003): visual art, English, Career Education – School District 20, British Columbia
Leadership, Collaboration and Accomplishments:
- Mentor of new faculty – For Southridge School-have been assigned a mentor for a variety of new faculty to orient them to the school, the community and to help them meet the expectations of their new position at Southridge School.
- Educational innovator: example – For Southridge School-Designed and implemented a locally developed, BC Ministry of Education approved creative writing and visual art oversees four credit, Grade 11 course named Creative Expressions Abroad 11. This course has taken place in France.
- Service in arts education innovator: example – For Southridge School-Created strong bonds and an on-going relationship with several charitable groups both in and outside of the curriculum, particularly with The Semiahmoo House Society.
- Extensive committee participation-served on a variety of Southridge School committees including: Restorative Action Committee, Excellence in Teaching Committee, Awards Committee, Senior School Educational Plan Core Committee, Extra Curricular Committee, Discussion Based Student Centered Facilitation Committee, several hiring committees.
- Active art exhibitor and arts award winner: Recent artistic accomplishments include: 1st place Award-Surrey Art Gallery, “Arts 2013” /2nd place Award-Canadian Federation of Artists “Small, Smaller, Smallest” 2014 / 2nd place Award-Canadian Federation of Artists “Canvas Unbound” / 2013, 3rd place Canadian Federation of Artists, Fauna And Foliage, 2015
- Presented a variety topics to Canadian Association of Art Educators Annual Conference, BC Association of Art Teachers Annual Conference and the Canadian Independent of Schools Assistant Heads annual conference.
- Presented to senior school faculty a variety of topics, particularly in regards to how creativity manifests in the whole curriculum.
PREVIOUS RELATED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Gallery Co-Owner and Operator-Trail Creek Studios and Gallery/ Arts writer-West Kootenay Express newspaper / Museum Assistant-Boundary Museum and Interpretive Center/Owner and Operator of Twisted Earth Studios.
MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
CANADIAN ART THERAPISTS ASSOCIATION/BC ART THERAPY ASSOCIATION/CANADIAN FEDERATION OF ARTISTS/ SOUTH DELTA ARTISTS GUILD / BC COLLEGE OF TEACHERS / CANADIAN SOCIETY OF EDUCATION THROUGH ART / CANADIAN ASSOCIATION OF INDEPENDENT SCHOOLS/ SEMIAHMOO HOUSE SOCIETY